Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A little bit of history...

The little town where my sister lives is nestled deep within the American South. It is a town that time seems to have left untouched. It is approximately 60 miles from any large city and far from any major interstate. The little town itself is full of gorgeously preserved antebellum homes. During the American Civil War, this little town did not see any large battles and was left untouched by the passing Federal Army. Over the years, the local historic preservation society has been able to take over a few of these homes and restore them for public view.  They are some of the most majestic pieces of pre Civil War architecture I have ever encountered.

Bluff Hall (c. 1850) as it looks today
One of the homes in this little town sits right on the river and has an amazing historic clothing collection. Some of the clothing is on display throughout the house, but 90% of it in storage. Several years ago when my sister was a docent at the home, I had the opportunity to view the collection in person. The majority of the clothing dated from the late 1890s to early 1900s. Stupidly, I was only interested in Victorian era garments at that time and did not give these garments the attention I should have. Only now do I now realize the importance of these artifacts because the majority were donated by local families and thus all had a Southern connection. What an opportunity to document what real Southern American women were wearing at the turn of the 20th century! But I was younger then... and naive.

Early 20th century gown from their clothing collection

A few years later, I returned to the house- this time with my camera. I have to say, there is something amazing about this house. It is unlike any other museum or historically preserved house I have toured. It is very comfortable. It feels like home. 

Original grounds structure dating to the late 18th century

View of the yard looking toward the river

Main parlor
Attached Kitchen
What a treat in the American South!

19th century baby carriage
View from the back hallway looking into the dining room
View of the yard looking toward the river from the second floor
Second story doorway exiting out onto second story front porch

Mid 19th century wrapper/maternity gown

Second story nursery with hip tub

Boy's 2 piece dark blue velvet suit

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! this looks so cool! I love old houses!
    Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply amazing. I love history and this house could be my dream home.

    ReplyDelete